On Saturday night I made us this vegan spinach and cheese cob loaf! We have a bit of a family tradition that on Saturday nights we often have dinner in the lounge room in front of a family movie and I make us a grazing board or something delicious to share that is easy to eat in front of the tv. The kids love these type of dinners! My husband have a glass of wine and we really like these type of staying-in evenings as a family.
This vegan spinach and cheese cob loaf recipe delivered on the brief to be a good “saturday night’ meal! Delicious, cheesy and filling enough with all the bread but still healthy with all the spinach! My kids love dips and they loved dipping bread in this vegan cob loaf dip!
This is my second time making this cob loaf recipe. I don’t do them that often but I should! I had never had a cob loaf dip until I moved to Australia and thought it was the best thing ever haha I think cob loaves were very big in the 70s! Maybe cob loaves should come back in fashion!
Vegan Spinach & Cheese Cob Loaf Recipe
- 1 brown onion
- 250gr frozen spinach
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked 2-3 hours in water)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 /2 lemon juiced
- 1 cob loaf
- Soak your cashews in water for 2-3 hours and thaw your frozen spinach.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Dice your brown onion and cook it in a pan with a bit of olive oil until clear and soft. Defrost the frozen spinach completely in the pan. Stirring it around with a spatula. Add the onion powder and garlic powder. Remove from the heat.
- Drain and rinse your cashews and add them in a blender along with the nutritional yeast, water, salt, pepper, lemon juice and spinach mixture. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- For your cob loaf, cut a circle on top with a serrated knife and remove the inside of the loaf leaving 2 cm crust on all sides.
- Spoon the spinach dip into the loaf and place the loaf on an oven tray.Dice the rest of the bread in 3-4 cm big squares, place them around of the cob loaf and drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bread is golden and crunchy.
Traditionally cob loaves are made with cream cheese or bacon but my recipe is vegan and actually a lot more nutritious as made with spinach and cashews! You get a serve of leafy greens in this yummy dip!
If you like this vegan spinach and cheese cob loaf you might also enjoy these recipes of mine:
Also I would love to know if you make my spinach and cheese cob loaf recipe! Please tag me on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife . I love seeing you make my recipes! Also leave a comment below if you like this vegan cob loaf recipe!