Tonight for dinner I made us these vegan black bean meatball recipe with kale. These vegan meatballs were so easy to make and they taste delicious! I was a bit worried about making vegan meatballs thinking they wouldn’t stick but they did.
These vegan black bean meatballs are so healthy too and packed with fibre from the beans, kale and oats and plant-based protein from the beans while being low in fat and more importantly saturated fats!
Also eating a big bowl of pasta without meat and cheese will leave you feeling so much better! So whether or not you are vegan, I really hope you give these vegan meatballs with black beans and kale recipe a go!!
These vegan meatballs were also a huge hit with my family. My non-vegan husband loved them and my kids too. I think I might double the batch next time to keep some extras for lunches/ school lunchboxes!
If you cannot have oats – you could try this black bean meatball recipe with quinoa flakes. And if you don’t have kale spinach can be used. I have never tried this vegan meatball recipe with canned lentils or other beans but I think they could work too. Let me know in a comment below if you do try with different ingredients. I would also love to know if you make my recipe!
Vegan Black Beans & Kale Meatballs Pasta
- 1 can black beans (400gr)
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 cup oats
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 kale leaves
- 1 jar passata/pasta sauce
- 1 packet spaghetti or pasta of choice (500gr)
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs/vegan parmesan to top
- Dice the onion and garlic and cook in a pan with olive oil on medium heat.
- Then add the dried Italian herbs, garlic powder and balsamic vinegar and stir together cooking to let all the flavours come through for a few minutes.
- In a blender, add the drained and rinsed black beans, oats, salt, pepper, kale leaves and the onion mixture. Blend by pulsing until the kale is fine and the meatball mixture easy to roll into balls. Do not add liquid. Roll the balls with your hands the size of golf balls and leave to the side.
- Before cooking the meatballs, heat some water in a large pot to cook your pasta following the packet instructions.
- In the same pan as the one you used for the onions, add a tiny bit of olive oil and cook the rolled meatballs. Leave the meatballs to cook on each side for about 1-2 minutes or until they get a bit of colour.
- Once cooked add the passata or pasta sauce and leave to simmer on low heat.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the meatballs and sauce. Combine together and serve.
- Top with fresh basil or vegan parmesan.
If you don’t want to eat spaghetti I recommend using spiralized zucchini for pasta to make this the ultimate plant-based healthy meal! Topped with these black bean meatballs it is a nutritious and delicious meal. Pro tip: steam your zuchetti or combine half normal spaghetti and half zuchetti for extra vegetables and fibre.
Other vegan savoury recipes like this vegan meatball recipe:
If you like this vegan meatball recipe you might also enjoy these family vegan recipes on my website:
- Easy tofu pasta
- Vegan lasagna with cashew cheese
- Healthy cauliflower noodle soup
- Vegan lasagna with zucchini and eggplant
- Vegan black bean brownies
If you make my black bean meatball recipe I would love to see so please tag me at @healthyfrenchwife on Instagram!
This was simply delicious. The recipe comes together simply and was incredibly filling. I honestly thought it tasted great straight from the blender before browning!
so glad to hear xx
These sounds perfect for a vegan dinner I’m organizing, I’ll give it a try for sure 🙂