New vegan baking recipe for you all today! Vegan chocolate and orange chickpea muffins!
I know so many of us love to bake when stuck at home or when a bit bored so I have a new healthy recipe for you! If you are in quarantine/social isolation my thoughts are with you. I hope my healthy chickpea muffins can make you happy and busy for a few hours!
Also these muffins are made with wholesome ingredients, orange juice and canned chickpeas which hopefully you have in stock in your pantry! and if you have never tried baking with chickpeas now is the time! They bring a nice chewy/moist texture to these muffins and this is why you might see so many recipes popping up recommending adding beans in baking! They actually do a great job at keeping the cakes soft, chewy and not crumbly! A big win for vegan baking!
How to make these vegan chickpea muffins:
You will need a blender to make these muffins or a food processor to be able to make the chickpeas as blended and smooth as possible so they are not noticeable! Be warned! If you don’t blend enough you will get bits of chickpea skin in your chocolate orange muffins and noone wants that! haha
I kept my chickpea muffins quite bare but you could “pretty-them-up” by adding chocolate chips, chocolate icing or an orange slice on top or simply icing sugar dusted on top.
I have yet to try making them into mini muffins or as a large cake. If you do try making them with substitutions let us know below it might help other readers!
Vegan Orange and Chocolate Chickpea Muffins
- 1 can chickpeas (400gr)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter or tahini for nut-free
- 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (add 1/4-1/2 cup extra if you have a very sweet tooth)
- 1 orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup plant-milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 180degrees celsius and line a muffin tray with muffin cases or grease them.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas.
- In a blender or food processor combine all the ingredients together and process/blend until very smooth.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin moulds and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
If you like this vegan chickpea muffins recipe you might also enjoy these recipes of mine:
- Almond & Orange Cake (Vegan)
- Raspberry & Macadamia Muffins (Vegan)
- Vegan Mango Muffins
- Healthy Vegan Black Bean Brownie
Tag me @healthyfrenchwife on Instagram if you do make them or leave a comment below!
Leave a Reply