This Vegan orange and almond cake was a big hit both in my house and on my Instagram so I am adding the recipe here. I love orange and almond in a cake but it can be hard to find them in cafes as it is often a gluten-free recipe and needs eggs to hold so I made my orange almond cake recipe using wheat flour but no eggs to make it vegan.
This vegan orange and almond cake is very easy to make yet is delicious and quite light and fluffy. It is perfect for an afternoon snack with a cup of tea! I love adding the shiny orange marmalade on top with a slice of orange to make it look nice or you could add a chocolate icing for a special birthday or celebration. Orange goes so well with chocolate for flavour combination I think! I might have to do this next time I bake this orange almond meal cake! Or maybe with a cashew orange icing and add a layer in the middle too for a special occasion. This orange almond cake recipe could work really well as a double layered cake too or made with blood oranges. I want to try a blood orange almond cake too!
Orange Almond Cake Substitutions:
You can make this almond and orange vegan cake gluten-free using half gluten free flour and half almond meal. So use 1 cup GF flour and 1 cup almond meal. I love the taste of almond meal in baking especially in this orange almond meal cake.
Quick note: I make my cakes in a bowl not a stand mixer which can over stir cakes and flatten them up. Over stirring vegan cakes can make them flat and too dense. So I recommend making this vegan orange almond cake in a mixing bowl and stirring manually. Your orange vegan cake will stay much fluffier with a bit more manual labour! I find this is a common error when making this recipe. I also find that wheat or spelt flour is best for this recipe.
Check out the recipe below. I hope you will enjoy it as much as some of my readers have already. Some even create this recipe for birthdays and special events. It makes me so happy to hear! Knowing my recipes are loved and shared with families and friends really makes my heart sing! I am so proud and it helps knowing I am not the only one enjoying my recipes haha
Vegan Orange & Almond Cake
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose/ wholemeal wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp plant milk of choice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 orange zest
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond essence (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line an 8inch cake tin with a circle of baking paper at the bottom
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
- Â In a separate bowl mix with a whisk the squeezed orange juice, plant milk, melted coconut oil, orange zest, apple cider vinegar and vanilla or almond essence.
- Pour the liquid ingredients in the flour bowl and fold gently with a spatula until well combined.
- Place the cake batter in your cake tin and place in the oven to cook for 45 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and spread some orange marmalade on top for a simple glaze.
- Keep the vegan orange and almond cake in an airtight container for a few days.
If you love this orange almond cake you might also enjoy these vegan recipes of mine:
- Vegan GF chocolate mudcake
- Mini vegan lemon and poppyseed muffins
- Vegan GF banana buckwheat cake
- Vegan Marbled Banana Bread
- The best vegan twix bites
If you make my orange vegan cake I would love to see your recreation on instagram. So please tag me @healthyfrenchwife or leave a comment below.