This cake was a big hit both in my house and on my Instagram so I am adding the recipe here. I love orange and almond in a cake but it can be hard to find them in cafes as it is often a gluten-free recipe and needs eggs to hold so I made my version using wheat flour but no eggs to make it vegan.
VEGAN ORANGE ALMOND CAKE
• 1 ½ cup of flour
• ½ cup of almond meal
• 2 tsp of baking powder
• ¾ cup of sugar
• ½ cup + 3 tbsp of non-dairy milk
• ½ cup of fresh orange juice
• 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil
• 2 tbsp of flaxmeal
• 1 tsp of vanilla essence
• zest of 1 orange
• 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line an 8inch cake tin with a circle of baking paper at the bottom.
2. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
3. In a separate bowl mix with a whisk the squeezed orange juice, plant milk, melted coconut oil, orange zest, apple cider vinegar and vanilla essence.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients in the flour bowl and fold gently with a spatula until well combined.
5. Pour in your cake tin and place in the oven to cook for 45 minutes at 180 degrees.
6. Leave to cool on a wire rack and spread some orange marmalade on top for a simple glaze.
7. Keep in an airtight container.