If you have been following me for a while you will know I love baking and I love sharing baking recipes with you that are vegan and a bit healthier. I always get a lot of requests to make my recipes gluten-free so I hope you will enjoy this gluten-free vegan banana cake. It is a cake but could easily be made into a gluten-free vegan banana bread! I just wanted to do something a little different!
So back to this vegan gluten-free banana buckwheat cake! I know a lot of you have kids on school holidays already so it would be a great baking project to do together!
This recipe is very allergy-friendly as it is egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and nut-free! I used buckwheat flour as it is my favourite gluten-free flour to use in gluten-free baking. I also like the taste and flavour it brings in baked goods! SO if you like banana bread and buckwheat you should try this recipe! And let me know what you think of it in the comments below.
I have not tried baking this banana cake into a banana bread or muffins but I think it will work. You might just need to reduce the cooking time.
Vegan Gluten-free Banana Buckwheat Cake
- 3 ripe bananas medium
- 2 cups buckwheat flour use white buckwheat flour (not the wholemeal black variety)
- 1/2 cup maple sryup
- 1/4 cup raw sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup plant-milk of choice
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or extra milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 extra bananas to top
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (355 Fahrenheit degrees) and line an 8-inch square tin with baking paper;
- In a bowl mash the bananas until smooth with a fork (or alternatively in a blender);
- In a separate bowl combine together the buckwheat flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and apple cider vinegar.
- Then combine the plant milk and maple syrup to the mashed bananas. Pour it into the dry ingredients and combine well. Then pour the melted coconut oil and stir with a whisk removing any lumps. Do not over stir.
- Pour the cake batter in your cake tin and top with 2 sliced bananas. Cook at 180 degrees Celsius (355 Fahrenheit degrees) for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
You can substitute the buckwheat flour for oat flour or your favourite flour to use when baking. You can also make it oil-free by adding 1 extra banana or adding 1/2 cup extra plant-milk.
If you like this banana/gluten-free recipe of mine you might also enjoy these recipes:
- Vegan Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread
- One bowl mocha banana bread
- Vegan Raspberry Almond Loaf
- Vegan GF Blueberry Lemon and Poppyseed Loaf
And if you make this vegan gluten-free banana bread/cake tag me on your socials @healthyfrenchwife