Autumn is arriving here in Australia and we have a lot of apples at the moment. This is the perfect time to make my healthy vegan Waldorf salad with apple and chickpeas. A traditional Waldorf salad combines fruit and nuts and is dressed with mayonnaise. Not my healthy Waldorf salad. I made a creamy avocado and apple cider vinegar dressing with Dijon mustard. With walnuts, celery and lettuce this vegan Waldorf salad makes for a delicious lunch or side.
This chickpea celery salad is gluten-free, healthy and makes for a balanced salad with protein from the chickpea and healthy fats from the avocado and walnuts. It is also high in fibre from the apples and celery.
I think this healthy Waldorf salad is a great salad to serve to kids too (be mindful of chocking hazards with the walnuts). My kids loved the creamy avocado dressing and the apple pieces throughout the salad.
How to make my vegan Chickpea Waldorf Salad:
- In a blender combine the avocado, apple cider vinegar, water, salt, pepper, mustard and olive oil. You can leave it out completely to make this recipe oil-free.
- In a salad bowl, add the chopped lettuce, rinsed canned chickpeas, chopped celery and red onion. Cut your apple in small pieces and drizzle with a little lemon juice to avoid oxidation. You can also add cut up grapes.
- Add walnuts slightly crushed into smaller pieces and add the dressing to the salad. Combine and serve.
Substitutions for my healthy Waldorf salad.
You can substitute the apples for pears and add grapes if you wish. If you cannot have nuts you can either leave them out or add sunflower seeds instead. You can also substitute the lettuce with baby spinach leaves or even kale leaves.
Healthy Vegan Chickpea Waldorf Salad
- 1 small avocado
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chopped lettuce (1 large one)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 apples cored and diced
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Prepare the dressing by combining in a blender the avocado, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, olive oil and water. Blend until smooth.
- In a salad bowl, combine the chickpeas, chopped lettuce, celery, apple, walnuts and red onion.
- Stir in the dressing and toss until well combined.
If you like my healthy Waldorf salad or you are looking for other healthy vegan salads on my blog- check out these other recipes of mine:
If you make my chickpea Waldorf salad and want to show me or tag me on Instagram please tag @healthyfrenchwife
Leave a Reply