The end of summer is approaching here in Australia. So this is the best time to make the most of summer vegetables. And also make this healthy pasta salad with roasted vegetables and orzo pasta for dinner. I dressed this orzo vegetable salad with some homemade hemp pesto.
This roasted vegetable orzo salad is not only delicious but could easily feed a large crowd. Or be used to meal prep some lunches. You can easily increase the orzo pasta quantity if budget conscious too. This orzo salad can be great for large gatherings and summer BBQ or as a light summer weeknight dinner.
This pasta salad with orzo and roasted vegetables can easily be warm or cold. So you can prep this pasta salad ahead of time or eat it straight away. It could be made with roasted pumpkin, cauliflower for a different twist in winter. And with or without my homemade hemp pesto. You can sub the hemp pesto for store-bought pesto if in a pinch.
Orzo is a type of pasta which is also called Risoni here in Australia. Orzo looks like grains of rice. If you are gluten-free you can sub the orzo/risoni for white or brown rice.
Nutrition wise this orzo salad is high in fibre from the roasted vegetables and the pasta and contains good fats from the hemp seeds. Protein-wise it could be served with a side of oven baked tofu or with a can of chickpeas.
How to make this orzo vegetable salad:
- Start by prepping the vegetables. You can substitute the vegetables I used for any vegetables you have. Use any in your vegetable crisper that need to be used.
- Before placing the diced vegetables in the pre-heated oven. Dress the vegetables. I use a good quality olive oil, salt and dried mixed herbs to make them even more delicious!
- While the vegetables are roasting in the oven, cook the orzo pasta in boiling water until al dente.
- Also prep the hemp pesto when waiting for the vegetables. Combine the hemp seeds, basil, garlic clove, lemon juice, olive oil and water.
Roasted Vegetable Orzo Salad
- blender for the pesto
- 250 gr orzo pasta/ risoni pasta
- 2 small zucchinis
- 3 tomatoes
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 capsicum
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 bunch of basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (355 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Dice your vegetables and place in a baking tray. Season with olive oil, mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Place the vegetables to roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Cook the orzo pasta following the packet instructions.
- While the pasta and vegetables cook, combine the pesto ingredients together in a small blender or with a stick blender until creamy.
- Combine the roasted vegetables, cooked pasta, hemp pesto, salt and pepper. Top with fresh basil.
If you like this roasted vegetable orzo salad recipe please tag me on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife if you make it! I love seeing you make my recipes in your stories.
For more vegan pasta recipes check out these pasta recipes of mine: