I love lentils and I also love eating stews so this healthy vegan lentil and kale stew was really much enjoyed! In winter I like swapping salads for stews and soups and being vegan I always try to include some legumes such as these French lentils as well as some leafy greens like kale. My lentil and kale stew recipe includes some balsamic vinegar and coconut cream. I know this may sound like a strange flavour combination but trust me it really works!
I enjoy eating this stew on it’s own with a piece of crusty bread more like a soup or you could also enjoy it with rice/pasta on the side or maybe potatoes. This lentil and kale stew recipe serves 6 so you can double it to serve a larger family or to make extra for the freezer. I need to do that next time. I love nothing more than having leftover lentil stew for lunch in winter!
This vegan lentil and kale stew has been very popular on my page. So many of you have made this recipe. It makes me so happy to see you enjoying my vegan lentil stew!
How to make my lentil and kale stew:
- In a large saucepan, cook the diced onion and garlic with herbs and olive oil.
- Then add in the diced carrot and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and add your dry French lentils along with the vegetable stock and 1/2 cup of water. Add more or less water or stock depending how you like your lentil stew.
- Bring the lentil and kale stew to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover and cook for 30-45 minutes until lentils and carrots are cooked.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt pepper and kale and cook for 5 minutes. The kale needs to be added just at the end so as not to overcook it and lose too many nutrients in the cooking process.
- Serve into bowls with a dollop of coconut cream or alternatively pour the whole can of coconut cream in the lentil and kale stew if you want to make it more coconutty.
You could swap the kale for some English or baby spinach and the French lentils for green lentils or canned lentils. I don’t recommend using red coral lentils are they tend to turn to mush when cooked in a stew. You can also include sweet potato or any other vegetables you like and add more stock/water to make it more like a soup.
Recipe for my vegan lentil and kale stew:
Vegan Lentil & Kale Stew
- 2 cups dry French lentils or brown lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 cups shredded kale leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 3 carrots
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil with the dried herbs and cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add in the diced carrot and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and add your dry lentils along with the vegetable stock and 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring the stew to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover and cook for 30-45 minutes until lentils and carrots are cooked.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt pepper and kale and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve into bowls with a dollop of coconut cream or add a whole can of coconut milk or cream if you like your stews with coconut.
If you like this vegan lentil and kale stew recipe you might also like these posts:
Also I noticed so many of you are already making this lentil stew recipe on Instagram. Some of you make this kale stew more of a soup or some of you serve it with rice or pasta. I love seeing your tweaks on my recipes! And it really makes my day when I see you make my recipes like so please continue to tag me when you make my recipes @healthyfrenchwife!