This is probably one of my favourite recipe of mine. I used to love nutella as a child and still love the taste of roasted hazelnuts and chocolate together- only this time it is healthy and vegan!
The post of this cake on Instagram did very well – you guys loved it! thank you for all the love! I hope you will enjoy this recipe!
This cake is definitely birthday cake material and I will be making it for my birthday end of December! I might even make 2 and add a layer of the Hazelnut Notella icing in the middle as well as on the sides! You can never have too much notella icing!
Also the mudcake is made with a secret ingredient, the same secret ingredient as my raspberry brownie: chickpeas! they work so well to make the cake fudgy and super healthy!
Hazelnut Chocolate Mudcake with Hazelnut â€œNotellaâ€ Icing.
- 1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of self raising wholemeal flour
- Â½ cup of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of stevia
- Â½ cup of raw cacao
- Â½ cup of nut milk (more if needed)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp of flax meal and 6 tbsp of water)
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder or essence
- Â¼ tsp of sea salt
- extra hazelnuts for topping
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- Â¼ cup + 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 5 tbsp of raw cacao
- 5 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- To make the notella, roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. Leave to cool slightly and remove the skins with your hands. Leave your oven on for the cake.
- Then blend the hazelnuts in a food processor or blender.
- Add in the maple syrup, cacao, vanilla salt and water and blend a few minutes until smooth and liquid.
- To make the mudcake, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas and blend them in a food processor.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until it forms a nice chocolate dough. Add a little bit more nut milk if too thick.
- Then pour the chocolate cake mixture in a round cake tin lined with a sheet of baking paper.
- Cook for 35 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Leave to cool completely and then spread the notella icing. You can cut the cake in the centre to do a layer of icing in the middle too or just add it on top.
- Finish off with fresh or roasted hazelnuts.
I hope you will love this healthy vegan nutella cake! Tag me on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife if you make it xx
Leave a Reply