This is probably one of my favourite recipe of mine. I used to love nutella as a child and still love the taste of roasted hazelnuts and chocolate together- only this time it is healthy and vegan!
The post of this cake on Instagram did very well – you guys loved it! thank you for all the love! I hope you will enjoy this recipe!
This cake is definitely birthday cake material and I will be making it for my birthday end of December! I might even make 2 and add a layer of the Hazelnut Notella icing in the middle as well as on the sides! You can never have too much notella icing!
This site uses ads and affiliate content as an Amazon associate earning on qualifying purchases. Disclosure.
Also the mudcake is made with a secret ingredient, the same secret ingredient as my raspberry brownie: chickpeas! they work so well to make the cake fudgy and super healthy!
Hazelnut Chocolate Mudcake with Hazelnut â€œNotellaâ€ Icing.
- 1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of self raising wholemeal flour
- Â½ cup of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of stevia
- Â½ cup of raw cacao
- Â½ cup of nut milk (more if needed)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp of flax meal and 6 tbsp of water)
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder or essence
- Â¼ tsp of sea salt
- extra hazelnuts for topping
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- Â¼ cup + 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 5 tbsp of raw cacao
- 5 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- To make the notella, roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. Leave to cool slightly and remove the skins with your hands. Leave your oven on for the cake.
- Then blend the hazelnuts in a food processor or blender.
- Add in the maple syrup, cacao, vanilla salt and water and blend a few minutes until smooth and liquid.
- To make the mudcake, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas and blend them in a food processor.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until it forms a nice chocolate dough. Add a little bit more nut milk if too thick.
- Then pour the chocolate cake mixture in a round cake tin lined with a sheet of baking paper.
- Cook for 35 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Leave to cool completely and then spread the notella icing. You can cut the cake in the centre to do a layer of icing in the middle too or just add it on top.
- Finish off with fresh or roasted hazelnuts.
I hope you will love this healthy vegan nutella cake! Tag me on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife if you make it xx