Bastille Day is almost here. Last year I celebrated with these homemade vegan French Crepes with Orange zest. I loved sharing these French vegan crepes with my family and now sharing the recipe with you!
These French crepes are so delicious and they truly reminded me of my childhood eating crepes in the street. They smell absolutely delicious and were easy enough to flip despite not having any eggs. For me crepes have to be super thin to be called crepes so it is a matter of making the batter very liquid and pouring it/spreading it very quickly in a hot pan. I hope you will enjoy my French vegan crepes.
The orange zest gives them a delicious taste too and was the secret ingredient in my grand mother and great-aunt crepes. I really grew up eating delicious food! My great aunt was known for making the thinnest crepes and would roll them and bring a huge platter of them. They might have been 40 crepes all rolled up. It must have taken her ages. I hope she approves of my vegan crepes!
My recipe is as always vegan, dairy-free, low sugar. The maple syrup is needed to give them a nice colour and for sweetness.
Please note I used wholemeal flour in this French vegan crepe recipe. I have tried making them with a gluten-free flour blend and it flopped but buckwheat flour should work. Reduce liquid if using white flour as it needs slightly less- maybe 2 tablespoons less.
French Vegan Crepes Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 cup wholemeal (whole-wheat) flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp cold water (if needed)
- In a bowl mix the ingredients together with a whisk to remove all the lumps.
- Add more cold water if needed (it needs to be thin but not too much.)
- Spray a hot flat pan with coconut oil or neutral oil and pour a ladder of the batter on your pan away from the heat – quickly moving the batter around the hot pan to spread it thinly. (Being fast and not pouring too much batter is the key in making proper thin French crepes)
- Leave to cook on medium heat for about 1 min per side then flip with a spatula and cook the other side.
- Keep the cooked crepe on the side and cook the remaining crepes the same way.
- Top with your favourite toppings: orange zest and maple syrup or jam or vegan notella!
You can also substitute the coconut oil for olive oil. That’s what I would prefer using now health wise. And the soy milk can be replaced for coconut milk or oat milk. Almond milk is a little bit more watery and might not work as well.
Leave me a comment below if you liked them or tag me on Instagram in your stories @healthyfrenchwife Also don’t forget to jump on my email list!
If you liked this vegan French recipe you might also like these other French vegan recipes of mine: