Today I am sharing a recipe close to my heart: my healthy vegan apple tarte tatin recipe. I absolutely love this vegan tart tatin recipe and I first got inspired to make it using a recipe from my late grand-mother. I turned her recipe in a vegan and healthy version but I am sure she would approve.
The best thing about my tart tatin is that is doesn’t use puff pastry (There is actually a bit of debate whether tart tatin should have short crust like a normal apple tart or puff pastry). I prefer going with shortcrust pastry as it is much easier to make it myself and make it vegan! Tastes delicious too! But you can substitute my homemade crust for vegan store bought puff pastry to make it even easier!
Now the best bit about my apple tart tatin recipe: (apart from being vegan delicious and healthy) I make it in a cake tin. Yes that’s right! No need to use a fancy pan in the oven. I simply cook the apples in a pan and then transfer to a cake tin at the bottom. I then cover the apples with the pastry and flip it when cooked! Voila!!
I hope you like my tart tatin recipe too. Delicious served with vanilla ice-cream (dairy-free). It would be a great meal for a French inspired meal or Bastille Day!
Healthy Vegan Apple Tart Tatin
- 4-5 Granny Smith or any apples
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
Vegan Shortcrust pastry
- 1 cup wholemeal flour or all purpose
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl mix the crust ingredients together until it forms a ball and leave in the fridge while you cook the apples
- Peel and slice the apples (in normal slices or third leaving the core out) and cook them in vegan butter or oil with the cinnamon and vanilla on slow heat stirring often so they don’t stick for around 5 minutes.
- Once they are soft add in the coconut sugar and stir for a few minutes.
- Leave them to cool while you roll the pastry dough with a rolling pin. I like to do it between 2 sheets of baking paper if it sticks.
- Cut the dough in a circle using the cake tin as a model.
- Lay the cooked apples at the bottom of a cake tin (on top of a layer of baking paper to make it easier) and place the dough on top. Press down slightly.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees.
You can then serve warm with dairy-free vanilla ice-cream (Or I love banana caramel ice cream from Pana Organic! with it!).
If you make my healthy vegan tarte tatin I would love to know – please tag me @healthyfrenchwife on Instagram.
Then if you want to see more French inspired recipes you might like these other recipes on my website: