Today I am sharing a recipe close to my heart: my healthy vegan apple tarte tatin recipe. I absolutely love this recipe and I first got inspired to make it using a recipe from my late grand-mother. I turned her recipe in a vegan and healthy version but I am sure she would approve. She passed away when I was 9 from motor neurone disease and I still think about her all the time. She was from Normandy in France where this recipe is from. She used to bake a lot of apple tarts and Tarte tatin too.
I hope you like it too. Delicious served with vanilla ice-cream (dairy-free).
Healthy Vegan Apple Tarte Tatin
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 cup of wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil melted
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius,
- In a bowl mix the crust ingredients together until it forms a ball and leave in the fridge while you cook the apples.
- Peel and slice the apples and cook them in coconut oil with the cinnamon and vanilla on slow heat stirring often so they don’t stick for around 5 minutes.
- Once they are soft add in the coconut sugar and stir for a few minutes.
- Leave them to cool while you roll the pastry dough with a rolling pin. I like to do it between 2 sheets of baking paper if it sticks.
- Cut the dough in a circle using the cake tin as a model.
- Lay the cooked apples at the bottom of a cake tin and place the dough on top.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees.
Serve warm with dairy-free vanilla ice-cream.
If you make my healthy vegan tarte tatin I would love to know – please tag me @healthyfrenchwife on Instagram.
If you like this French inspired recipe you might like these other recipes on my website: