Today I am sharing my vegan mac and cheese recipe with cashews. If you have never tried a vegan mac and cheese why not try my version with this cashew mac and cheese!?
I first made this cashew mac and cheese recipe last year and we love having it for a quick easy cheezy simple dinner. It is not as healthy as plant based mac and cheese recipes made with pumpkin, cauliflower or carrots but it is still nutritious as made from cashew nuts.
Did you know cashews are a great source of vitamin K, as well as protein and minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and manganese and a good source of zinc and iron.
How to serve this vegan cashew mac n cheese?
I like serving this mac and cheese nutritional yeast and cashew sauce with some wholewheat pasta or legume pasta for extra fibre and protein. I always also serve this cashew cheese mac and cheese with steamed greens. Tonight we had collard greens on the side. We sometimes have broccoli, zucchini or kale salad.
Vegan Cashew Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water 2-3 hours
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp corn flour/ tapioca
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cold water
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet of pasta of choice
- greens to serve on the side
- Soak your raw cashews in water for a few hours or over night. If you forgot just soak them in boiling water for 10 minutes to soften them.
- Before making the cashew sauce, boil a pot of water on the stove for the pasta.
- Drain and rinse the cashews then add the cashews, cold water, nutritional yeast, corn flour, spices, salt and pepper to your blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook following the packet instructions.
- When the pasta are cooked drain and add back to the pot and pour in the cashew cheese sauce. Heat up slightly for a few minutes then serve along greens.
If you allergic to cashew nuts I recommend trying a different recipe but you could try with coconut cream or macadamia nuts.
You can serve the cashew sauce with gluten free pasta or zuchetti (zucchini pasta) if you prefer.
If you liked this cashew mac and cheese recipe I would love to know! Please leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife
If you are after other pasta recipes that are as delicious as this vegan mac and cheese with cashews you will like the recipes in my cookbook Healthy Little Tummies (There are 4 pasta recipes!) or you might like these recipes of mine: