Tonight for dinner I made us these vegan “meatballs” with black beans and kale. They were so easy to make and they taste delicious! They are so healthy too packed with fibre from the beans, kale and oats and plant-based protein from the beans while being low in fat and more importantly saturated fats!
Also eating a big bowl of pasta without meat and cheese will leave you feeling so much better! So whether or not you are vegan, I really hope you give these vegan meatballs with black beans and kale recipe a go!!
These vegan meatballs were also a huge hit with my family. My non-vegan husband loved them and my kids too. I think I might double the batch next time to keep some extras for lunches/ school lunchboxes!
If you cannot have oats – you could try this recipe with quinoa flakes. And if you don’t have kale spinach can be used. I have never tried this vegan meatball recipe with canned lentils or other beans but I think they could work too. Let me know in a comment below if you do try with different ingredients. I would also love to know if you make my recipe!
Vegan Black Beans & Kale Meatballs Pasta
- 1 can black beans (400gr)
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 cup oats
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 kale leaves
- 1 jar passata/pasta sauce
- 1 packet spaghetti or pasta of choice (500gr)
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs/vegan parmesan to top
- Dice the onion and garlic and cook in a pan with olive oil on medium heat.
- Then add the dried Italian herbs, garlic powder and balsamic vinegar and stir together cooking to let all the flavours come through for a few minutes.
- In a blender, add the drained and rinsed black beans, oats, salt, pepper, kale leaves and the onion mixture. Blend by pulsing until the kale is fine and the meatball mixture easy to roll into balls. Do not add liquid. Roll the balls with your hands the size of golf balls and leave to the side.
- Before cooking the meatballs, heat some water in a large pot to cook your pasta following the packet instructions.
- In the same pan as the one you used for the onions, add a tiny bit of olive oil and cook the rolled meatballs. Leave the meatballs to cook on each side for about 1-2 minutes or until they get a bit of colour.
- Once cooked add the passata or pasta sauce and leave to simmer on low heat.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the meatballs and sauce. Combine together and serve.
- Top with fresh basil or vegan parmesan.
Also I am excited to start my membership The Eat-More-Plants Club this month with my founding members. I will be relaunching soon in case you missed it. This is my membership where I share with women nutrition tips and knowledge as well as exclusive cooking videos and recipes to help them improve their healthy by eating plant-based. If you want to get serious about eating a lot more plants and plant-based meals this is the membership for you without any judgement on whether or not you are vegan. My goal with the Eat-More-Plants Club is to help everyone include more healthy plant-based meals into their diet.
In May as part of the Eat-More-Plants Club I will be sharing cooking videos for vegan parmesan, white bean lasagna, split pea dhal and healthy strawberry chickpea muffins. I will also cover in a master class an introduction to plant-based eating, the benefits and the nutrition behind it as well as to how to implement it in your daily life. So if this sounds like something you might be interested in make sure to join next time I open enrolments!
Other vegan savoury recipes:
If you like this vegan meatball recipe you might also enjoy these family vegan recipes on my website:
- Easy tofu pasta
- Vegan lasagna with cashew cheese
- Healthy cauliflower noodle soup
- Vegan lasagna with zucchini and eggplant
- Vegan black bean brownies
If you make my recipe I would love to see so please tag me at @healthyfrenchwife on Instagram!