This is a delicious and super easy black bean and sweet potato stew loved by my husband and me.
I hope you will enjoy this new recipe!
Feel free to sub the sweet potato for carrots, pumpkin or white potatoes.
This one-pot stew is quick to make and a perfect mid-week healthy dinner. I love making a simple vegetable stew like this black bean stew. It can be easily made on a busy night by using canned black beans.
I like that it is one meal in a bowl as it has protein, fiber and carbohydrates as well being delicious with a coconut paprika-based stew.
This black bean sweet potato stew is also great for leftover lunches or to have on hand in the freezer. You can easily double up on the recipe to enjoy for dinner and have a batch in the freezer for lunches in winter.
You can easily sub the sweet potatoes for pumpkin or potatoes or add different vegetables to the stew.
HOW TO MAKE my vegan black bean stew:
Vegan Black Bean Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 750 ml water
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cups spinach or kale
- 400 ml canned coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot., cook the diced garlic and onion with water (or sub for vegetable stock or oil);
- Once cooked add in the peeled and diced sweet potatoes along with the spices. Combine together.Then add the 750ml of water.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add to the stew. Bring to a boil then reduce down to a low heat until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add in the rinsed and drained black beans, spinach, coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Add more paprika or a dash of balsamic vinegar to season more if you wish. Stir to combine and cook for 5minutes until the spinach is cooked and coconut milk heated through.
So there we have it!– I know you’re going to love this vegan healthy black bean sweet potato stew!
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have.
And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #healthyfrenchwife. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
This sweet potato stew recipe is very allergy-friendly! It is gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free.
If looking for other vegan meal ideas check out my 4 Week Plant-based Reset meal plans and recipes here!