If looking for vegan jackfruit recipes try my vegan Teriyaki Jackfruit sushi! I was lucky to receive some young green jackfruit from Nature’s Charm.
After a bit of practice and following the sushi rice packet instructions I have finally been able to roll homemade sushi perfectly! And since we have homemade vegan sushi a lot at home. It is one of Annabelle’s favourite thing ever. We change fillings by using satay tofu or avocado, cucumber, capsicum and lately: teriyaki jackfruit!
Jackfruit is well known for being a great swap in plant-based recipes for chicken so with a bit of Teriyaki sauce it creates a great substitute for Teriyaki chicken sushi and instead you have plant-based/ vegan jackfruit sushi! I bet your family will enjoy these jackfruit sushis too!
A good trick when cooking with canned jackfruit is rinsing it very well as it can be a little sweet and balancing it with a savoury/salty/strong flavour. I find teriyaki marinade like in these vegan jackfruit sushi or Mexican spices work great when cooking with jackfruit.
HOW TO MAKE THESE VEGAN JACKFRUIT SUSHI:
Vegan Jackfruit Sushi with Teriyaki Marinade
- bamboo mat
- 3-4 sheets Nori seaweed sheets
- 1 can young green jackfruit
- 1/3 cup Teriyaki marinade
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- vegan mayo, soy sauce to dip
- Cook the sushi rice following the packet instructions;
- Drain and rinse your canned jackfruit and shred with a knife;
- Heat in a pan with the teriyaki marinade. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sushi rice is cooked and cooled down; lay your bamboo mat, seaweed and top with rice, cucumber stick and cooled down teriyaki jackfruit. Roll and slice. (Best to follow youtube instructions for rolling sushi if you are a beginner- these are so helpful!).
You can make sushi using brown rice if you prefer. I have not tried yet. And you could replace the jackfruit for tofu and other marinades like satay.
So there we have it!– I know you’re going to love this super simple jackfruit recipe!
And, if you do make this vegan jackfruit recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #healthyfrenchwife. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
This recipe contains soy and sesame seeds but is nut-free and gluten-free.
For other savoury recipes check out this post of mine with my favourite vegan pasta recipes!