This healthy vegan apple almond cake is so delicious and soft. Oil-free and low-sugar it is made with apple sauce and almond meal/flour. The perfect Sunday afternoon treat with a cup of chai!
The cold weather is upon us here in Orange and it is the perfect time of the year here for baking with apples like with this vegan apple and almond cake. We went apple picking and picked 5 kg of local Gala apples! I made some apple sauce with cinnamon, apple pancakes and now this delicious soft vegan apple and almond cake. We are also snacking on them fresh as they are crunchy and juicy!
This vegan apple and almond cake is quite healthy as I made it without oil. I have been trying more and more to create oil-free recipes to make them more suitable for a wfpbno lifestyle (wholefood plant-based no oil). I used homemade apple sauce instead to keep it moist and soft along with almond milk.
This vegan apple almond cake is:
- vegan, oil-free
- made with apple sauce
- super soft
- easy to make
- perfect for serving to an afternoon tea
- made with only 8 ingredients
How to make this vegan apple almond cake:
Vegan Apple Almond Cake
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp almond essence (optional/sub for vanilla)
- 3 small gala apples peeled
- 1 tbsp silvered almonds
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (355 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a 20cm cake tin with a circle of baking paper.
- In a bowl combine with a spoon the flour, almond meal, sugar, almond extract then add the apple sauce and almond milk.
- Pour the cake batter in your baking tin.
- Peel and slice your 3 apples and lay the apples on top of the cake batter forming a circle or in every way you wish. Add the silvered almonds and place in the oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (355 degrees Fahrenheit).
If you don’t want to use apple sauce you can make it with 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 1 cup of almond milk instead of 1/2 cup. If you are allergic to almonds I recommend adding 1/2 cup more of flour and 1 tbsp extra of oil. This vegan apple and almond cake is not gluten-free but if you wanted you could use a 1 for 1 gluten-free baking blend.
So there we have it!– I know you’re going to love this vegan apple almond cake!
And, if you do make this vegan apple and almond cake recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #healthyfrenchwife. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
This recipe is:
For similar recipes check out these recipes of mine: