I often receive recipe requests and recently someone asked me to create a healthy chocolate weetbix slice. So here is my healthy and vegan chocolate weetbix! I hope you will love as much as we did this healthy no bake weetbix slice!
A Weetbix slice is a common recipe for children here in Australia. A chocolate Weetbix slice is usually made with golden syrup but not my vegan healthy Weetbix slice. My no bake weetbix slice is vegan as well as nut-free and refined sugar-free. The perfect recipe for school lunchboxes!
Being a no cook weetbix slice this is a very easy and quick recipe to make. All you need is a food processor and a loaf baking tin to make my healthy weetbix slice. It is a good recipe to make with children as well to get them involved in the kitchen. My twins loved helping me make this choc weetbix slice!
If you cannot eat gluten I recommend trying this healthy chocolate weetbix slice with gluten-free weetbix and if you cannot find weetbix/weetabix you can try using 1 cup of corn flakes or other breakfast cereals. (I recommend using low sugar/low sodium breakfast cereals).
I used tahini in the recipe so if you cannot have tahini you could substitute for peanut, cashew or almond butter.
How to make my No Bake Weetbix Slice:
- In a food processor, blitz the weetbix, flax seed powder (also called flax seed meal or use whole seeds). Add in the cacao and dates and blend until fine.
- Add in the liquid ingredients (tahini, coconut oil and maple syrup) and blend until it forms a sticky dough.
- Press the weetbix slice in a loaf tin lined with baking paper and place it in the freezer for 5 minutes to set while you melt the dairy-free chocolate then spread it on top of the slice and place it back in the freezer to set for 10 minutes.
- Store it in the fridge or freezer.
Vegan Healthy Weetbix Slice
- 5 weetbix
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3-4 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 50 gr dairy-free dark chocolate
- In a food processor or blender blend the weetbix, flax seed meal and cacao until fine.
- Add in the dates and blend until chopped finely.
- Add in the tahini, coconut oil and maple syrup and blend it until it forms a sticky dough.
- Press the mixture in a loaf tin lined with baking paper or plastic wrap and press down with your fingers to flatten it.
- Place the tin in the freezer for 5 minutes while you melt the 50gr of chocolate. Then spread the melted chocolate on top of the slice and leave it to set in the freezer 20 minutes before slicing.
- Store in the fridge in airtight container for up to 1 week or in the freezer to stock for lunchboxes.
Moreover if you are after more healthy plant-based family recipes check out my cookbook Healthy Little Tummies. It has a lot of children friednly healthy and vegan recipes.
If you like this choc weetbix slice you might also like these vegan recipes of mine: