Today I want to share with you these delicious healthy vegan Nutella brownies. So delicious this vegan nutella brownie uses vegan nutella as well as chopped hazelnuts. You can either use store-bought vegan nutella for these brownies or make your own!
I made these vegan nutella brownies twice – once making my own hazelnut chocolate spread and the second time using store-bought healthy vegan hazelnut spread. For convenience you can easily use store-bought vegan hazelnut spread or make your own. Up to you! Delicious either way!
These vegan Nutella brownies are dairy-free, egg-free, oil-free (apart from oil found in the store-bought vegan nutella) and really delicious. These vegan nutella brownies have that crunchy top layer and a slightly fudge-like centre just like normal brownies. After making a lot of healthy versions of brownies either using sweet potatoes, black beans etc it was nice making a more indulgent type of brownie. And these vegan nutella brownies didn’t disappoint!
A childhood memory:
As a French kid I grew up eating “Nutella”. I am a huge fan of that hazelnut chocolate taste. It has been a very very long time (probably 10 years since I have had the real stuff). I became health-conscious before becoming vegan and so I have either bought healthier alternatives or made my own for a very long time. In case you do not know the real spread is not vegan, is packed with sugar, palm oil responsible for the deforestation of the Amazon forest. I really invite you to stop buying that brand and instead buy healthier alternatives or make your own. It is so delicious in these healthy nutella brownies!
How to make my vegan Nutella Brownies:
Vegan Hazelnut Nutella Brownies
- 1 cup hazelnut meal (or use almond meal)
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa
- 1/2 cup nut-butter/ hazelnut chocolate spread if your nut butter is quite dry add 1/4 cup extra
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal + 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup nut milk of choice
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate hazelnut spread to top
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts to top
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius and line a square baking tinwith parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the flax seed meal and water to set.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cacao, sugar, flour, hazelnut meal and bakingpowder.
- Add the nut butter to the flax seed meal, maple syrup and nut milk andstir together. Then add into the dry ingredients.
- Combine well then pour into your baking tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes.
- Add a layer of vegan “nutella” or homemade chocolate hazelnut spread andtop with crushed hazelnuts on top.
- Slice carefully into 9 pieces and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container.
To make your own vegan hazelnut chocolate spread follow my recipe below:
- Start by roasting 1 cup of hazelnuts in the oven for 10min at 200 degrees Celisius
- The remove the hazelnut skins with a tea towel;
- Blend them in a food processor until fine and it starts to become a nut butter (this can take a while and a lot of scrapping the side depending on the quality of your food processor)
- Then add 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 1/3 cup of cacao and 1/3 cup of coconut oil and blend some more until smooth. Add extra water to make it runnier if needed.
Vegan Nutella Brownies Substitutions:
If you are allergic to nuts and in particular hazelnuts please try another recipe of mine and skip this one! Too hard to substitute for this recipe. Sorry.
To make them gluten-free you can swap the spelt flour for oat flour or a GF blend.
If you do not have hazelnuts/ hazelnut meal you can swap for almonds, walnuts or almond meal. You can also use peanut butter or any other nut-butter inside the brownie recipe itself.
If you like this healthy vegan hazelnut nutella brownie recipe you might also enjoy these recipes of mine:
- Mini raw vegan hazelnut and chocolate cheesecakes
- Gluten-free hazelnut cacao cookies
- Vegan Black bean brownies
- Healthy hazelnut brownies
If you make these vegan Nutella brownies I would love to see it so please tag me on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife