Today I am resharing with you my delicious healthy Vegan Anzac Biscuits recipe. I have made this healthy Anzac biscuits recipe for quite a few years now! It is such a treat to bake these Anzac biscuits on this important date.
What is Anzac Day?
Anzac day this year is going to feel and be very different. For my non Australian readers, ANZAC day is the day we commemorate Australian and New Zealand soldiers who have died in the wars. It is a very special day here with everyone paying their respects by attending Dawn services early in the morning and doing a minute of silence together. The tradition is to also bake some Anzac biscuits! This year we are asked to pay our respects by standing in our driveways at 6am! Sounds crazy but my husband and I will definitely do it. And then come back inside to enjoy a hot cup of coffee and I will get baking my traditional yearly batch of healthy vegan Anzac biscuits!
The traditional Anzac biscuits were made by the wives and mothers of the soldiers and sent overseas where they were fighting so they were durable dry biscuits to last the trip! Traditional Anzac biscuits recipes call for butter and golden syrup. I try to avoid using these 2 ingredients so my recipe is obviously not traditional! But my vegan Anzac biscuits are much healthier for you!
Healthy Vegan Anzac Biscuits
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup raw sugar/coconut sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper
- In a bowl mix the oats, sugar, coconut and flour together.
- In a separate bowl mix the baking powder and hot water and add the coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir together.
- Add the liquids into the dry ingredients and combine them together. Add more water/more oats if required.
- Shape balls with your hands and place them on the baking tray before pressing them down to flatten like a cookie before baking them at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until nice and golden.
Even if you live overseas and do not know what Anzac day is you should try my healthy vegan Anzac biscuits! It is a very simple and easy recipe to make too! I also think we should make these Anzac biscuits more than once a year! Do you agree?!
Please note these are Anzac biscuits not cookies and yes they are crunchy.
If you like this healthy vegan Anzac biscuit recipe you might also enjoy these recipes and I would love to see you make them on my Instagram so please tag me @healthyfrenchwife.
Other cookie recipes:
- healthy peanut butter cookies
- Healthy GF hazelnut chocolate cookies
- Strawberry Oat Crumble Slice
- Nut-free Berry Crumble
Edit: It really made me so happy to see you bake these vegan Anzac biscuits this year.