Spring is on its way and I couldn’t be happier after a very cold and long winter here in Orange. It is still really cold at the moment but it feels like it is the end. I look forward to seeing leaves and flowers on trees because I know it also means my little baby will come very soon!
Anyway we found some very cheap strawberries in the shops the other day and bought 2 trays so I could freeze a lot of them, we ate most of them in 2/3 days and I used a little bit for making this delicious, simple and healthy vegan rustic strawberry galette. It was a big hit with my dad and the twins.
Rustic Strawberry Galette with a wholemeal olive oil crust
- 1 1/2 cup of wholemeal wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Strawberry filling:
- 1 large punnet (500gr) of strawberries rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp of arrowroot
- 1 tbsp of coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Rinse and dry your strawberries then cut off the greens and slice them in 2 or 3.
- Mix in a bowl with coconut sugar and arrowroot powder. Leave them in a bowl for 10 minutes to release some juice and make your galette less watery.
- While the strawberry filling rest make your dough by mixing in a bowl the flour, cold water and olive oil until it forms the dough.
- Between 2 sheets of baking paper, roll your dough in a large flat circle shape using a rolling pin and place on an oven tray.
- Remove the strawberry juice and assemble your galette by spreading the strawberries in the middle of your crust.
- Fold the edges in a rustic manner overlapping and cook the galette in the oven for 35-45 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.