Happy late French Bastille Day! I celebrated with these homemade vegan French Crepes with Orange zest. I loved sharing them with my family.
These French crepes are so delicious and they truly reminded me of my childhood eating crepes in the street. They smell absolutely delicious and were easy enough to flip despite not having any eggs. For me crepes have to be super thin to be called crepes so it is a matter of making the batter very liquid and pouring it/spreading it very quickly in a hot pan. I hope you will enjoy them. The orange zest gives them a delicious taste too.
My recipe is as always vegan, dairy-free, low sugar. The maple syrup is needed to give them a nice colour and for sweetness.
ps: Go France today in the world cup!
Vegan French Crepes :
Makes 8 thin crepes. Double recipe if needed.
1 1/2 cup of soy milk
1 cup of all purpose flour (I used wholemeal)
1 tbsp of maple syrup
2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of orange zest
1 tbsp of cold water
- In a bowl mix the ingredients together with a whisk to remove all the lumps.
- Add more cold water if needed (it needs to be thin but not too much.)
- Spray a hot flat pan with coconut oil or neutral oil and pour a ladder of the batter on your pan away from the heat – quickly moving the batter around the hot pan to spread it thinly. (Being fast and not pouring too much batter is the key in making proper thin French crepes)
- Leave to cook on medium heat for about 1 min per side then flip with a spatula and cook the other side.
- Keep the crepe on the side and cook the remaining crepes the same way.
- Top with your favourite toppings: orange zest and maple syrup or jam or vegan notella!
Let me know in the comments below if you liked this recipe 🙂