Easter is coming soon and Carrot Cake is a great option for Easter to get a little break from all the chocolate! Plus Carrot cake is probably my favourite cake. I love mine with walnuts but you could leave them out. This cake is vegan, oil-free and low sugar but feel free to tweak it to your own diet requirement (change to GF flour or add a bit more sugar if required). The icing is vegan and looks the best on the day as it can dry and turn a darker colour when left out so best adding the icing just before serving.
Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake with Cashew Vanilla Icing
- 2 cups of wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of flaxseed powder
- 1 1/2 cup of nut or soy milk (add more if dough seems too dry)
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of mixed spice
- 1 tsp of nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven at 175degrees Celsius.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix slowly.
- Grate the carrots and fold them gently with the dough.
- Pour in your cake tin and cook for 50-60 minutes at 175degrees.
- Leave to cool down before adding my cashew vanilla icing and extra walnuts.
Cashew Vanilla Icing
- 1 cup of soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder or
- 4 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup or stevia (I used stevia this time)
- Soak your cashews in water overnight and drain and rinse.
- Mix in a blender with the other ingredients until creamy and smooth.
- Add more water if required.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes before pouring on top of your cake when cooled down.
I hope you enjoy this vegan carrot cake recipe and let me know if you make it for Easter on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife