Today I am sharing with you my healthy vegan carrot cake recipe with a cashew cream frosting! This is a great carrot cake to share with family and friends. I have made this vegan carrot cake quite a few times now and we love it!
This healthy and easy carrot cake recipe is vegan, oil-free and low sugar but feel free to tweak it to your own diet requirement (change to GF flour or add a bit more sugar if required).
Easter is coming soon and a healthy vegan Carrot Cake is a great option for Easter to get a little break from all the chocolate! Plus Carrot cake is probably my favourite cake. I love my carrot cake with walnuts but you could leave them out.
Vegan Carrot Cake & Cashew Cream Frosting recipe notes:
Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake recipe
- 2 cups wholemeal wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1.5 cup plant milk of choice
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar (add 1/3 more if you have a sweet tooth)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 .5 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or stevia (I used stevia to keep it more white)
To make the carrot cake
- Preheat your oven at 175degrees Celsius. Line a cake tin with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix slowly. Grate the carrots and fold them gently with the batter.
- Pour in your cake tin and cook for 50-60 minutes at 175degrees Celsius.
- Leave to cool down before adding my cashew vanilla icing and extra walnuts.
To make the cashew icing.
- Soak your cashews in water overnight and drain and rinse.
- Mix in a blender with the other ingredients until creamy and smooth.
- Add more water if required.
- Once the cake is cool spread on top of the cake.
The cashew icing or frosting is vegan and looks the best on the day as it can dry a little bit and turn a darker colour when left out so best adding the icing on top of the vegan carrot cake just before serving. Or you could make a vegan icing using vegan butter and icing sugar. Best to keep the cake in an airtight container too.
(Note: 20/03/2020: I made it today using spelt flour and added 3-4 tbsp of sultanas as well in a bundt cake. It baked for 45 minutes. I would recommend adding more coconut sugar/sweetener in the cake if making for adults and no kids! Maybe 1 cup of coconut sugar or raw sugar).
Also for the cashew cream frosting – to keep it more white – I recommend using stevia (or white sugar, icing sugar.)
I have not tried making this vegan carrot cake gluten-free but if you do try let me know in a comment below!
I hope you enjoy this healthy vegan carrot cake recipe and let me know if you make it on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife I would love to see it!
If you enjoy this vegan carrot cake recipe of mine you might want to check out: