A delicious and healthy vegan carrot cake recipe with my healthy cashew cream frosting. A beautiful cake to share with loved ones!
Today I am sharing with you my healthy carrot cake recipe with a cashew cream frosting! This is a great carrot cake to share with family and friends. I have made this healthy carrot cake recipe quite a few times now and we love it!
This healthy and easy carrot cake recipe is vegan, oil-free and low sugar but feel free to tweak it to your own diet requirement (change to GF flour or add a bit more sugar if required).
Easter is coming soon and a healthy vegan Carrot Cake is a great option for Easter to get a little break from all the chocolate! Plus Carrot cake is probably my favourite cake. I love my carrot cake with walnuts but you could leave them out. I also like topping my carrot cake with pumpkin seeds, dried fruit or edible flowers.
This healthy carrot cake recipe is:
- simple to make
- great as a dessert or birthday cake
How to make my Vegan Carrot Cake & Cashew Cream Frosting recipe:
Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake recipe and cashew frosting
- 2 cups wholemeal wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1.5 cup plant milk of choice
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar (add 1/3 more if you have a sweet tooth)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil or leave out to make it oil-free
- 1 .5 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp icing sugar or monk fruit icing sugar
To make the carrot cake
- Preheat your oven at 175degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) . Line 1 or 2 cake tins with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix slowly. Grate the carrots and fold them gently with the batter.
- Pour in your cake tins and cook for 40 minutes (in 2 tins) or if using 1 tin for 50-60 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Leave to cool down before adding my cashew vanilla icing and walnuts or seeds.
To make the cashew frosting:
- Soak your cashews in water overnight and drain and rinse.
- Mix in a blender with the other ingredients until creamy and smooth.
- Add more water if required.
- Once the cake is cool spread on top of the cake.
The cashew icing or frosting is vegan and looks the best on the day as it can dry a little bit and turn a darker colour when left out so best adding the icing on top of the carrot cake just before serving. Or you could make a vegan icing using vegan butter and icing sugar. Best to keep the cake in an airtight container too.
To make it gluten-free: I have not tried making this carrot cake gluten-free but if you do try let me know in a comment below! I think oat flour or a gluten-free baking flour blend would work best.
I hope you enjoy this healthy vegan carrot cake recipe and let me know if you make it on Instagram @healthyfrenchwife I would love to see it!
If you enjoy this carrot cake recipe of mine you might want to check out:
- my vegan banana buckwheat cake
- Vegan Almond & Orange Cake
- Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Mudcake
- Vegan Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing & Pretzels
- Easter vegan food ideas
This recipe is:
- nut-free without the cashew frosting;