One of the best thing of becoming vegan was to embrace carbs and pasta into my life again. For so long I would feel so guilty and sluggish after eating a big bowl of pasta I always thought it was the gluten and carbs but turned out it was the meat and cheese. If you too feel a bit disgusting after eating pasta bowls you should really try a simple vegan pasta and learn to fall in love again with pasta. My body loves it and I love it too.
I had made these Zucchini and Chia meatballs for a collaboration with Chia Co for Coeliac Awareness Week. I used gluten-free pasta for that occasion but I usually eat normal pasta.
The meatballs are super easy to make and only require a few ingredients. They come out crunchy and moorish and even my toddler boy James loved them! (Eloise was more interested in the pasta ha)
Vegan Chia Zucchini “Meatballs” Recipe
Vegan and gluten free served with gluten free spaghetti and tomato sauce.
Recipe makes 15 meatballs.
– 1 large zucchini
-1/2 cup of chia seeds
– 1/4 cup of olive oil
– 1/4 cup of water
– 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
-1/2 tsp of onion powder
– 1 tsp of italian dried herbs
– 1/4 cup of corn flour
– 1 packet of gluten-free spaghetti
– 1 jar of passata tomato sauce
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
Optional: chilli flakes and vegan parmesan.
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Grate your zucchini and mix in a bowl with the chia seeds then add the olive oil and water.
3. Add in the seasonings and the corn flour and mix it all together.
4. Roll the meatballs with your hands and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add more water/corn flour if too liquid/dry.
5. Cook for 20-25 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
6. While the meatballs cook, cook your gluten-free pasta and serve with your favourite healthy gluten- free tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes.
Top with the meatballs and vegan parmesan and serve.