Happy Sunday! I can’t believe another week has gone by. My studies have started again. I am now doing 3 units this semester for my Master of Nutrition plus the weather is nicer and I enjoy spending the afternoons playing outside with my twins so I might have a bit less time for making recipes in coming weeks!
I promised I would share this raw vegan caramel slice recipe so here it is! It is really delicious and I loved getting my raw baking on! It does take a little of time as you have to do 3 layers but then you can keep it in your freezer and I managed to make mine last one whole week by only eating 2 squares a day haha
There are many many caramel slices recipes out there but most have way too many dates, coconut oil or sweetener for my liking. I prefer to keep mine a bit more on the healthier side so I can enjoy it guilt-free!
Raw Vegan Caramel Pecan Slice Recipe
- 1/2 cup of pitted dates
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup of oats or quinoa flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 tbsp of water
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1 cup of soaked pitted dates (soak for a few hours or 5 minutes in boiling water)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder or vanilla paste
- 2.5 tbsp of water from the soaked dates
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- Line a loaf tin with glad wrap
- In a food processor mix the base ingredients together and press down in the tin. Place it in the freezer while you make the caramel layer.
- Soak the dates and then mix them in the food processor then add tahini and water. Spread on top of the chocolate base and place back in the freezer.
- Wait 30 minutes for the caramel to chill before doing the chocolate layer.
- In a bowl mix the melted coconut oil with cacao and maple syrup with a whisk and pour on top of the caramel slice.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes and serve or keep in the freezer for 2 weeks.