I made this cake a few weeks ago when I was feeling very emotional! I had had some bad news relating to finding and searching a home and I need a pick-me up! Baking and chocolate always helps me when I am feeling a bit unhappy or stressed and this cake delivered on both fronts!
This is a delicious chocolate cake- I made it 3 times to get it right. The first time it was too crumbly and dry and the second time not cooked enough! I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did. I like the combination of chocolate, peanut butter and pretzels but it is not for everyone. You could very much leave the icing and pretzels out if you wanted.
I want to have this cake for my birthday!
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing and Salted Pretzels.
- 1 cup of whole meal flour
- 1 cup of whole meal self raising flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- ½ cup of raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 ½ cup of nut milk
- 100gr of melted dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour and cacao together. Add in the baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix the nut milk, apple cider vinegar maple syrup.
- Fold the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients using a spatula and add the coconut oil a little at a time stirring.
- Then add the melted dark chocolate and a pinch of salt and fold gently.
- Place in the cake tin and cook for 45 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius.
- Leave to cool while you make the peanut butter icing.
Peanut butter Icing:
- 1 cup of peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of nut milk
- 1 cup of pretzels.
- In a bowl or blender mix the peanut butter, maple syrup and nut milk.
Spread on top of the cake and top with pretzels before serving.